Saturday, January 01, 2005


Pewter Place Withdrawal

I finished fourth. In both my leagues, I finished fourth.

If nothing, I exude consistency.

What screwed me over was the following combination of circumstances: 1) The Eagles wrapped up the NFC like sixteen years ago, and decided that Owens' injury was their wakeup call to rest McNabb. 2) I have little access to crucial sports information in Rochester. Mind you, the Democrat and Chronicle is a fine...well, acceptable...okay, rather Bills-and-minor-league-hockey-centric newspaper. Not the best source for info. I have little internet access at home, seeing that my parents can't take care of their iMac and still think dial-up AOL is the cutting edge of internet access. I was online once during my five days at home, for all of a half hour, and I got on all of two websites during that half hour. In addition, I didn't get to watch a lot of ESPN or other sports related TV. So I had to set my lineups with Thursday's info, and hope that it would carry me through.

Therefore, I lost both match-ups.

(I would insert a picture of me pouting about this here, but I don't have a digital camera.)

However, despite this ending disappointment, I have to say that fantasy football is totally awesome, and I can not wait till next year! Thanks to everyone who played and were always there to trade and give advice. My two commissioners were fantastic as well, and I learned a lot from both of them. Thanks for finally giving me the chance to play!

Unfortunately, this week is fantasy-less, and that's kind of weird. When I heard this afternoon that Bettis, my stud RB, was going to sit out against the Bills, I initially started thinking, "Okay, I need to switch to Martin and Droughns for this week." Then I remembered that it was all over. So I can watch football and cheer for the teams, instead of players. Which is important, given what could happen tomorrow...

...which leads us to this week's picks.

Baltimore over Miami

Buffalo over Pittsburgh--I want a "Bill-lieve" t-shirt. Sadly, they started selling them on Thursday, the day after I left Western New York, so I will go without. If the Red Sox can win the World Series, then the Bills can make the playoffs. And wasn't the "Hailey's Comet" game great if you're a Bills fan?! I saw all of three minutes--which included a touchdown for the Bills' offense and a sack for the Bills' defense. Good times.

Carolina over New Orleans

Green Bay over Chicago--The last two games don't get me excited at all. I wish they did.

Houston over Cleveland--I will go over this more in my next entry, but I'm in the middle of False Start: How the New Browns Were Set Up to Fail, and it's a book of excuses. Really disappointing. Yes, maybe Policy screwed you over, but he wasn't stupid. Maybe you should of taken McNabb, but don't instruct Browns fans not to ask "What if?" and then go on and on about "What if?"

New England over San Francisco--I wish, I wish, I wish I was going to this game!!!!!!!!!

Cincinnati over Philly--A little too late for Cincy against a resting Eagles team.

Jets over St. Louis--I hope I'm wrong. I really really hope I'm wrong, and that the Bills make the playoffs instead of the oh-so-annoying Jets

Detroit over Tennessee--It's not that the Lions are horrible. It's that they can't get it all together at once. Harrington could be good. They have the best coaching. Their defense isn't too shabby. They just have to make it all work together.

Washington over Minnesota--I almost think the Washington defense deserves to make the playoffs more than the entire Vikings team. I have never really liked the Vikings, even though my family were always big Dennis Green proponents and I was raised by a huge Fran Tarkington fan. I think Tice needs to go, but I could also see where coaching turmoil could throw that team into shambles.

Tampa Bay over Arizona--Speaking of Dennis Green...

Atlanta over Seattle--Or the other way around. I don't know. I can't get a handle on either team.

Indianapolis over Denver--Those starters better play for the Colts, and enough to squeak out a win. However, Denver is so inconsistent, the Colts second string could trip them up.

Jacksonville over Oakland

San Diego over Kansas City--See, I almost almost ALMOST was right last week with the Chargers. I did say it was going to be close. I was so excited when I saw the score at the half of that game. Super Chargers!!!

Dallas over the Giants--My friend Brian said today that there was no reason to start Manning over Warner. However, Warner is Warner, and I can kind of understand why it was done--Warner is so inconsistent but so pompous. It would annoy the heck out of me to have him around. Why give someone playing time who will complain about the sky not being blue enough and his paycheck having a folded corner, when you can make someone's daddy happy? Coughlin walked right into this one...remove the front office stat!

No comments: